I do not plan to present a recipe for retirement here, there are other sites that make this attempt. Instead I present a series of pages that show aspects of my own approach to retirement. The timeline will blur a little as some of these pages will be written pre-retirement while others are written after I have retired; all pages will be edited from time to time to improve readability and perhaps also to reflect my growing understanding of what it means to make a new beginning after retirement. And so, Gentle Reader, select from the pages below:
- Swimming in retirement... Some thoughts on my scheme to become one of those tanned old men in tiny Speedos who swim enormous distances effortlessly and appear to not give a toss about their amazingly tiny swimmers and inevitably receding hairlines! Swimming is an important part of my retirement plan and I look at not only where I have come from with swimming but where I hope to be heading 'on the water'.
- Nursing: Looking back... My career in nursing is coming to an end very shortly and on this page I look back over the last 36 years I spent working in a acute care hospitals, with 32 years spent in the world of Intensive Care. I am trying to not only look back at this time but also to see what I take away from such a career into the long years of retirement.
- Why don't old people run? With Covid shutting most of the world down I started running to fill in a few fitness gaps. I did not plan running to be part of a retirement plan but this reminds me of the old joke: "How do you make God laugh?". The answer: "Tell him your plans!". This page gives a detailed view of me working steadily through a Jeff Galloway 10k adaptive Garmin coaching plan as I prepare to be a retirement runner.
- Confessions of an eBook reader... Coming soon
- Listening to music again... Coming soon
- Surviving the ashram... Coming soon
I have a few more plans for these pages but note, Gentle Reader, that I will always omit more personal details of my retirement from publication here. For example there will be no place in this section of my site for family or financial details, these will not appear at all. But this will not stop the appearance of eventually about a dozen pages of my own thoughts and experiences of retirement so I hope that perhaps this will be enough...