Andrew's Corner of the Web
This site was established in June 2006 and has run continuously since then, with a hiatus at the end of 2013 and beginning of 2014. It is designed to function as a Mathom-house, or storage area for some of the work I undertake and for some resources for my areas of interest. A Mathom-house is a creation of J.R.R. Tolkien and was described in Tolkien's Prologue to the Lord of the Rings: 'Concerning Hobbits':
So, though there was still some store of weapons in the Shire, these were mostly used as trophies, hanging above hearths or on walls, or gathered into the museum at Michel Delving. The Mathom-house it was called; for anything that Hobbits had no immediate use for, but were unwilling to throw away, they called a mathom.
The site will never be more than 40 or so pages in size and will be updated when I have time to spare from my "real life". Some pages are more mathoms than others on this site but if you find any information that is of benefit to you I perhaps have accomplished a not insignificant thing...
Contents of the Site
I am currently restructuring this site, bringing some older pages back, editing some others, culling more than few others and also bringing in some new sections with a new focus on literature, HTML creation and Yoga. My apologies if a page you are after does not appear on this list:
- Linux Explorations... I have used Linux for many years and this site used to focus solely on Linux issues. After late 2016 the emphasis of the site has shifted as I have moved my focus to other areas, but I have collected some of the better Linux pages that I have created during this time and placed them here. Eventually about two dozen pages will populate this section dealing with command line burning, running an NNTP proxy server, using Mutt with Gmail and many, many other areas of interest to Linux enthusiasts.
- abcde: Command Line Music CD Ripping for Linux I have been involved with abcde for many years, firstly as a user ripping audio CDs, then as a writer of some quite popular guides for abcde usage and finally as one of the developers of this fine command line ripper/encoder.
- Urban Myths & the Iliad My sad and lonely effort to counter some common misconceptions about Homer's Iliad. Did you know that Achilles did not die in the Iliad, there was no wooden horse and that in ancient times Achilles was not even really a great Hellenic hero?
- Rough Justice in the HTML Newsgroups I am a huge fan of Usenet in general and HTML newsgroups in particular. It can be a somewhat robust environment and I have been both amused and horrified to see a form of rough justice meted out upon those who transgress often unwritten rules, less amused when it was meted out upon myself!
- While investigating the use of the "Definition List" in HTML, still the most neglected member of the HTML list family, I spent a bit of time creating these four pages which were mostly just a bit of fun:
- Sock Puppet: A warning to all who have been active on Usenet of the dangers of sock puppets!
- Troll Warning: Another warning to Usenet folk this time of the very real dangers of trolls.
- Spam: A warning message for spammers, feel free to send a spammer this link.
- Custom 404: This one warning message doubles as the custom 404 message for this site.
- Ubuntu: some memories... I have had a long association with Ubuntu Linux, but this is an association that is slowly coming to an end. On this page I am attempting to preserve some of my better work on a distro that is currently losing its way in the hope that all this work will not be lost or worse buried in an old Ubuntu archive.
- I have dabbled in html and css for many years and even now I love dabbling in web site creation although I have long learnt that content is more important than presentation. Listed here are some templates that I have created and still tinker with:
- Single column flexible This is pretty fully featured template that I created for my father's family history site, which I have not maintained for several years.
- Two columns flexible I used this template for the slrn website which I still maintain, even though Usenet is slowly sinking into the background. It is a nice solid template IMHO!
- Three columns flexible This template is on my list of things to do and is the least developed of my templates. Nevertheless the bones are there so feel free to take it and develop it further...
About This Site
This site is hand-coded with more than a little assistance from Bluefish 2.2.9 on a home-built AMD FX-8350 system running Fluxbox 1.3.7 on Slackware -current. Feel free to contact me using the email address at the base of most pages of the site and I will be more than happy to discuss any issues raised by material on the site. For those who are interested in such things my PGP Public Key is here.
If you are feeling generous perhaps you would also like to assist with the hosting bills for this site, any donations go directly to my Dreamhost account and pay to keep this site going. If not please feel free to utilise this site in any way you see fit and remember: "Have Fun!".