Andrew's Corner of the Web
This site was initially established in June 2006 and has run continuously since then, with a brief hiatus from the end of 2013 to the beginning of 2014. The site is designed to function as a Mathom-house, or storage area for some of the work I undertake and for some resources for my areas of interest. A Mathom-house is a creation of J.R.R. Tolkien and was described in Tolkien's Prologue to the Lord of the Rings:
"So, though there was still some store of weapons in the Shire, these were mostly used as trophies, hanging above hearths or on walls, or gathered into the museum at Michel Delving. The Mathom-house it was called; for anything that Hobbits had no immediate use for, but were unwilling to throw away, they called a mathom."
The site will never be more than 40 or so pages in size and will be updated when I have time to spare from my "real life". Some pagesare more mathoms than others on this site but if you find any information that is of benefit to you I perhaps have accomplished a not insignificant thing...
Contents of the Site
I am currently restructuring this site, bringing some older pages back, editing some others, culling more than few others and also bringing in some new sections with a new focus on literature, HTML creation and Yoga. My apologies if a page you are after does not appear on this list:
- Linux Explorations... I have used Linux for many years and this site used to focus solely on Linux issues. After late 2016 the emphasis of the site has shifted as I have moved my focus to other areas, but I have collected some of the better Linux pages and placed them here. Eventually about two dozen pages will populate this section dealing with command line burning, running an NNTP proxy server, using Mutt with Gmail and many, many other areas of interest to Linux enthusiasts.
- abcde: Command Line Music CD Ripping for Linux I have been involved with abcde for many years, firstly as a user ripping audio CDs, then as a writer of some quite popular guides for abcde usage and finally as one of the developers of this fine command line ripper/encoder. Over 2 dozen well tested configuration files have been placed in this section so that both new and old users of abcde will have a smooth and productive experience with this very fine application.
- Rough Justice in the HTML Newsgroups I am a huge fan of Usenet in general and HTML newsgroups in particular. It can be a somewhat robust environment and I have been both amused and horrified to see a form of rough justice meted out upon those who transgress often unwritten rules, less amused when it was meted out upon myself!
- While investigating the use of the "Definition List" in HTML,
still the most neglected member of the HTML list family, I spent a bit of
time creating these four pages which were mostly just a bit of fun:
- Sock Puppet: A warning to all who have been active on Usenet of the dangers of sock puppets!
- Troll Warning: Another warning to Usenet folk, this time of the very real dangers of trolls.
- Spam: A warning message for spammers, feel free to send a spammer this link.
- Custom 404: This warning message doubles as the custom 404 message for this site.
- Urban Myths & the Iliad My sad and lonely effort to counter some common misconceptions about Homer's Iliad. Did you know that Achilles did not die in the Iliad, there was no wooden horse and that in ancient times Achilles was not even really a great Hellenic hero? Written on the tail end of my Ancient Greek studies this page is still one of my favourites while simultaneously being one of the least visited!
About This Site
This site is hand-built on a home-built AMD FX-8350 system running Fluxbox 1.3.7 on Slackware -current, typed up with Geany and synchronised with a US Dreamhost server using rsync. I will always welcome help with these hosting bills and thanks to the many people who have helped out with these bills with both large and small donations!!
I update the site when I am able and I have something interesting to add, a combination of events that I confess only occurs from time to time! For those who are interested in such things my PGP Public Key is here. Hopefully you will find something of use in this web site, if not I hope you have a great day anyway :).